The idea that dreams are a form of communication from beyond the physical experience is not new. There are historical records and writings that are even filled with accounts of dreaming, and in every case man has searched for a reason for these phenomena.
Dreams have been a part of us even as a fetus inside our mother’s womb. Yet, we still do not fully grasp how they work. It is one life’s biggest mysteries. Most people believe that dreams show snippets from our subconscious mind. It is also a place where we can feel through intuition.
There are many reasons why human beings were gifted with the ability to dream. They are always present within us because they are designed to help us see what we cannot see in our normal perception. Dreams can be a form of divination. They can help you predict or at least get a gist of what will happen. Warnings can also come in the form of dreams. This is our intuition’s way of telling us how we should act on some issues. Dreams can also provide us with insights about our daily endeavors.
Common Dream Reading Characteristics
Here’s a quick list of common dream characteristics:
- Strong and Powerful Emotions. Dreams often entail extremely intense emotions. Anxiety is the most common emotion experienced in dreams. Other emotions also include abandonment, anger, fear, surprise, joy, happiness, and being in love. However, negative emotions are much more common than positive ones.
- Bizarre or Unusual Sensory Experiences. Our dreams often entail strange sensory experiences. Some of the few commonly reported sensory experiences that occur during dreams are the impression of falling, the inability to respond or take action quickly and the inability to control body movements.
- Confusing and Illogical. Generally, the visual nature of dreams is highly surreal and unrealistic, showing a constantly far-fetched sequence of haphazardly changing scenes composed of numerous associative imagery elements. The visuals (including locations, characters/people, objects/artifacts) are believed by a psychic to generally reflect a person’s memories and experiences, but often take on highly exaggerated and bizarre forms.
- Difficulty of Recall. The recall of dreams is extremely unreliable and difficult. Though dreaming appears to intensify memories within the context of the dream, the ability to access the information contained within the dream diminishes rapidly once the dreamer wakes. Dreams that are difficult to recall may be characterized by relatively little affect, and factors such as salience, arousal, and interference play a role in dream recall. Often, a person may recall a dream upon viewing or hearing a random trigger or stimulus.
Dream researchers estimate that approximately 95% of all dreams are not remembered. Unless a dream is particularly vivid and if one wakes during or immediately after it, the content of the dream is not remembered.
- Easily Acceptable Strangeness. Our dreaming mind easily accepts without question the oddities of events and contents of our dreams. According to Hobson, the unquestioning acceptance of dream content is attributed to the potency of our internally generated emotions and perceptions. During a dream, our mind does not see these strange and illogical events, perceptions and objects as being out of place or out of context but are instead taken as a dream reality.
How Does Dream Interpretation Work?
Dreaming is said to be one of our most intimate experiences. Each of our dreams, every night, is very unique as it reflects our every human emotion and experience. They are said to mirror our deepest desires, hopes, fears, and fantasies as our hidden self, the one we try to keep from the outside world, emerges from our subconscious. While dreaming, we can see ourselves in the raw and it’s this complete exposure that makes our dreams so important.
Dream interpretation can help us understand ourselves and help us solve problems. Dreams are said to provide as warnings to potential danger. Things that trouble us frequently crystallize in a dream. Some dreams are even said to even predict the future.
Quick And Easy Ways To Control Your Dreams
1. The Commitment
Everything begins with a commitment. If you want to control your dreams, you must be committed to doing it every day. You may slip every now and then, but this will affect your overall progress. To keep your commitment strong, buy a small notebook that will act as your dream journal. Start writing your commitment on the page and do not forget your end goal. Why do you want to control your dreams? How do you want your dreams to affect your life? Are you going to consult a professional? These are some of the basic questions that you have to answer about your dream.
2. The Dream Journal
It does not have to be big or grandiose—the dream journal can be small and handy so you can pick it right away once you wake up. Serious dreamers prefer blank notebooks since they can scribble as often as they want. If you are a wordy type of person, you can go for the traditional type of notebook, with lines and all. Basically, it all depends on your post-recording style.
3. Remembering Your Dreams
This is the actual start of controlling your dreams. All dream interpretation experts would suggest this basic technique. Remembering your dreams is easier said than done, however. Since the dreaming phase happens in the subconscious mind, you will forget about it once your conscious mind takes over. This is the reason why you forget large details of your dreams upon waking up. The best way to counter this is the usage of your dream journal. Once you wake up, grab your dream journal and start scribbling away the details of your dreams. At first, your scribbles would not make sense, but as you do this continuously, the dreams will eventually reveal something.
4. Become Mentally Prepared
Taking control of your dreams is considered a rebellious step against your subconscious. The subconscious mind will resist your determination, but you must not give up. Before going to sleep, you need to prepare your mind. Think of a certain dream that has baffled you for a long time. You can refer to the dreams you have jotted down in your dream journal. Once your mind is conditioned, your persistent dream may recur. Alternatively, you can also think about a certain life situation. Through practice, you will realise that these dreams are controllable if your mind is completely prepared.
5. Keep A Consistent Sleep Pattern
Aside from obvious health benefits, a regular sleep pattern will help you track down your dreams with ease. If your mind is also not stressed from lack of sleep, you can remember your dreams fervently. You can also set off a specific time to wake up—this is where your alarm clock plays a very important role. With a persistent schedule, your mind and body will become conditioned to your dream-controlling activity.
6. Placement of Unique Symbols
You can dream about anything that you have encountered throughout your waking hours. Every object can represent something in your dream, albeit their versions are different and, sometimes, unfathomable. Dream professionals advise that you place unique symbols in special portions of your room. These can be eccentric statues, dream-catchers, tribal tokens, tiki masks, complex art sculptures, colourful lava lamps, and many more. The trick is that your conscious mind will recognise these symbols, while your subconscious mind will do its best in creating alterations. This flurry of a process will help you become more aware, thus you can gain control of your dream.
7. Checking Reality
This is one of the habits that you can do in your dream-control skirmish. It is important to question yourself if the things that you are experiencing every day are real. The effect is imminent; once you can recognize your existence properly, you have better chances of doing it in your dream. Now, you can become in control of your dream more than you will ever be.
8. Problem-solving Inside The Dream
To solve imminent problems in your dream, you should already have a consistent mental practice. For example, a certain situation creates a large wildfire in your dream. Step by step, you can put out the wildfire using the projected dream materials. It takes time to master this technique, but this is one of the primary arcs of dream control.
Types of Dreams and Their Interpretations
Here are significant groupings of dreams and their implications:
Normal Dreams. This sort of dream is said to frequently be an impression of genuine encounters however can likewise incorporate dreams. Concentrates on dreams uncover that around seventy five percent of dream substance or feelings are negative.
Fantasies. This sort of dream is named a visionary dream experienced while in a degree of cognizance among rest and attentiveness, because of the cerebrum thoroughly considering significant, however not promptly pertinent, issues when their conditions don’t posture fascinating and drawing in issues. Studies show that we tend to stare off into space a normal of 70-120 minutes per day. This sort of dream happens during our waking hours, when we enable our creative mind to get us diverted that our psyches begin to meander, bringing about a drop in our degree of mindfulness as we lose ourselves in our envisioned situation and dream.
Clear Dreams. This kind of dream is a fantasy during which the visionary realizes they are envisioning. It happens when you have cognizant impression of one’s state while envisioning. In this condition of imagining, you, the visionary may frequently, however not constantly, still have some level of power over your very own activities inside the fantasy or even the characters and the earth of the fantasy. Dream control could be improved with rehearsed conscious clear envisioning. With training, a clear visionary could effectively take an interest in their own fantasies, settling on choices and impacting the fantasy’s result without arousing.
Bad dreams. This sort of dream is disagreeable and upsetting, making you feel negative feelings when you wake up, normally like dread or potentially loathsomeness, misery, nervousness and extraordinary pity. A bad dream may contain circumstances of peril, uneasiness, mental or physical fear, which is said to be your psyches negative reaction to genuine injury and circumstances. Bad dream sufferers may generally stir in a condition of misery and might be not able come back to rest for a delayed timeframe.
Prophetic Dreams. Additionally alluded to as precognitive or mystic dreams, this sort of dream are dreams of occasions or episodes before they occur and seems to prognosticate what’s to come. There is one levelheaded hypothesis that endeavors to clarify this marvel. This hypothesis clarifies that on the grounds that your envisioning psyche can sort out bits of data and perception that you may regularly neglect or that you don’t truly consider, your oblivious personality in this way comprehends what is preceding you deliberately sort out a similar data.
Repeating Dreams. This sort of dream is experienced more than once over a significant stretch with little variety in story or subject. In spite of the fact that some might be sure, regularly they are nightmarish in content. These fantasies will in general repeat on the grounds that a contention delineated in the fantasy stays uncertain or overlooked. In any case, when a goals to the issue is discovered, these repetitive dreams will stop. It is said that up to 70% of females and 65% of guys experience intermittent dreams.
It very well may be intense for individuals to comprehend dreams. Some scarcely recollect what occurs in them, and some experience circumstances and images that are excessively peculiar or unclear to decipher with any precision.
The most straightforward activity is get a fantasy word reference from the closest book shop, or perhaps to try and look into the importance on the web. While those might be the most helpful choices, they are not actually the best strategies in the event that you truly need to get a pertinent and precise translation. All things considered, you should consider making your own special dream word reference.
Why Make Your Own?
A customized variant of the booklets accessible at the book shop would suit your needs better, as it is tailor-fit for your very own life. Keep in mind that any image likely has an alternate importance in your fantasy as it does in someone else’s fantasy.
For one, there are social factors that influence how one may see a specific image. Moving between different communities could mean a huge improvement to the extent a fantasy importance is concerned. Second, our own belief systems can influence how we see the films that happen as we rest, just as the sort of implications we partner with specific components inside them.
Bit by bit Guide on Making a Dream Dictionary
Here are some simple to-pursue steps so you can make a custom word reference:
- Get a note pad – This could be anything you need; regardless of whether it is a scratch pad, a clear diary, perhaps a sketchpad or a phonebook, as long as you can viably log your fantasies, at that point it ought to be fine. It is essential to gather a few sections so you can likewise observe designs or repeating components, and possibly how these change after some time.
- Get a subsequent journal – This one is devoted to logging the various images and symbolism you experience. On the off chance that you utilize your first scratch pad, it may be difficult to sort out the images and it would turn into more badly designed when you have to glance back at past sections.
- Start logging – After you have noted down the occasions inside a specific dream in your first diary, you ought to recognize the components or images that are more noticeable than the rest, or those that you esteem have a significant effect upon your life. You at that point log these into your customized word reference. For new components, you can simply write them down on a different page. Be mindful so as to take note of the conditions and circumstances including that component. Repeating images will obviously be noted on their current pages.
- Survey your entrances – From time to time, think back on the sections to audit them. This could give you new understanding concerning how the components associate, or how various forms of a similar component point to a specific elucidation.
- Work on understanding the images – Spend time finding out about various methodologies of translation so you can have numerous points of view when working up your comprehension of every image. Along these lines, you will likewise improve the manner in which you see and grasp your fantasies.
Deceptions About Dream Interpretation
Here are probably the most widely recognized deceptions that we have.
- Dream images have general implications. At the point when we talk about a fantasy examination, we naturally select the predominant images in our fantasies and afterward allude quickly to the basic dream images for significance. This is certainly not something to be thankful for to do as no all inclusive importance exists among dreams. Your fantasies are a result of your considerations and the regular happenings of your life which are one of a kind to only you. In this manner, it is just you who can genuinely give a significance to every image.
- You can draw a significance of the individual’s fantasy even without his contribution on it. This isn’t right. In association with the primary articulation, just the visionary himself can really give an importance to his fantasy. Hence, he needs to likewise include his contributions to arrange that the fantasy images might be related to his circumstance.
- We don’t have dreams. Actually we are just not ready to recollect our fantasies. Regardless of whether your body is sleeping, your psyche and soul are very dynamic are still in the preparing mode.
- Your fantasies are irregular and they don’t mean anything. For us, our fantasies may in many cases not mean anything. In any case, on the off chance that we investigate and look for a decent dream understanding, we will understand that a portion we had always wanted have messages in them.
- Dreams are to be translated truly. This isn’t the means by which to decipher your fantasies. At the point when we dream, they are clear some of the time and they can likewise be very indistinct. Thus, you need to relate implications to your fantasy images. Vehicle crashes or a specific circumstances may not mean these will happen precisely as they show up.
- Dreams don’t have implications. What is the purpose of getting a fantasy elucidation if, in any case, these have no implications or sense? You simply need to work on dissecting your fantasies and getting to know the language of dreams to have the option to translate them.
- No one but clairvoyants can decipher dreams. Keep in mind that your fantasy can be eventually deciphered by you since you are the person who knows about what the images in them mean. This implies you can have a go at discovering that.